4.04.2011

72 hour kit ideas...

I just finished updating our 72 hour kits...quite a project but so glad it is done! Stella was as proud she could be helping me out. After the Earthquake and Tsunami I thought I should update everything...

I completed the following:
FOUR 72 Hour kit backpacks for each of us specific to our needs
TWO car kits
ONE first aid kit (we already had this- see below)

These are some of the items in the CAR KITS:
I heard of several people that were stuck in their cars and then shelters for several days until they could get home. I decided to create two CAR KITS (one for each car).
In the CAR KITS I included:
-Plenty of Water for 4 people in these lightweight plastic bag things
- Matches and candle
- Light sticks
- Ponchos and Emergency blankets
- Large can of Nuts
- Dried Fruit
- Crackers and Granola Bars
- Hard Candy
- Marker and Small Notepad
- Water Purification tablets
- Baby food and Diapers
- Wet Wipes
- Bandaids
- Tylenol
-Pedialyte (1 juice box)
-Little bit of cash in small bills


We also have this great kit from Target/American Red Cross...I don't think they have this exact one anymore...but there are lots of kits out there with similar items...Some of the items I took out and put directly into our 72 hour kits...but most everything is still in there.
This one has: 4 emergency ponchos, survival blanket, instant cold compress, 4 dust masks, 2 pairs of non-latex gloves, 2 flashlights and batteries, 2 pairs of canvas gloves, first aid/emergency preparedness guide, transistor radio and batteries, children’s activity booklet and crayons, plastic drop cloth, scissors, breathing barrier, adhesive cloth tape, assorted adhesive bandages, 3" and 4" roll-type bandages, triangular bandages, absorbent compresses, 3x3" and 4x4" sterile gauze pads, hydrocortisone ointment, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, thermometers, aspirin, tweezers, moist towelettes, 4 plastic whistles, waterproof matches, and 8 snap lights.


Then in our 72 Hour kits I did more of the same:

Food: A few ideas: Canned Fruit, Canned Soups, (Make sure they are the new pop-top cans or include a can-opener) Baby Food for V, Hot cocoa and Tea, Candy, Granola Bars, Oatmeal, Dried Fruit, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember!
Toiletries:Shampoo, Soap, Tylenol (Adult & Kids), Baby Wipes, Sunscreen, Chapstick, Lotion, Comb/Brush, A couple Towels in the larger kits,
Clothes: Hats, Long and Short-Sleeve Shirts, Pants, Socks, Underwear,
Baby Stuff: Diapers, Wipes, Pedialyte, Baby Food, Formula/Bottle (V is still nursing but just in case), Blanket
Emergency Stuff: Ponchos, Emergency Blankets, Crank-powered flashlight, Solar Powered radio, Glow Sticks, Water Purification tablets, Masks, Cash in small bills, Matches, Band-aids
Plenty of Water
Thermos-type Cup (to eat soups, drink teas etc.)
Misc.: Books/toys/crayons for the kids, Paperback novel, word search puzzle,

Whew...glad that is done...the reality is we will probably never need it...or may not be able to get to it...but at least it is done!

I think the easiest way to do this is to purchase some kits from Emergency Essentials or somewhere (this is not a sponsored post...just an idea). I saw a bunch on their website that look pretty affordable and would be an easy way to get started!

Do you have any other great ideas of what to include? Share them please!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

LOVED this post. I got an email from this woman in Japan who wrote to tell her family and friends that her family was ok after the disaster. She had some great tips, I was going to post about it this week - after reading this I think I'll post about it today! Go have a gander...

Loves!