9.10.2008

Coconut Cupcake Moments...


So we've had a few rough nights with little Stella this past week. Shots have made her grumpy...and a touch of a cold hasn't helped much either! Two nights ago (I ended up on the living room floor with her for a restless night) I couldn't help thinking - as I constantly find myself these days - thinking of Nie. An adorable mommy that I don't know...have never met...and think about more often lately than is probably healthy. You'd have to have your head buried in blogger sand not to have heard...but visit her blog for details....

Anyway...as I was up and frustrated trying to get my little monkey to sleep I kept thinking "boy I bet Nie would give anything to be up at night with her sick baby..." Her story makes me grateful for every little detail of my sometimes crazy "mom" days. So as I visited her blog today I had to smile. Her sweet sisters are posting archived posts. So NieNie you are still inspiring us from your burn-unit room in Arizona. Go girl. Here is what she said:

Sometimes life feels this way.
I really enjoyed this quote by Anna Quindle. Elder M. Russell Ballard quoted her in my favorite talk "Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear)

So my friends this is my new goal this week! Live in the moment...somedays I do this great! Others not so much...but I am a determined woman! As I made coconut cupcakes yesterday...I was that in-the-moment lady ! I sat on the messy floor with my Stella and let her sink her few little teeth into a treat...no hurry. no agenda. this is going to be the new me....still getting things done but treasuring all the "doing"...and look in that photo up there...my cupcake frosting is spilling...and I'm not caring. remember this is the new in-the-moment me.

Oh and just to help out in any way possible I will be doing some fun auction/donations to her family. So be prepared...Holiday Blog Banners coming soon...with the proceeds to NieNie. Stay tuned!


3 comments:

Jewels said...

I so know what you mean - it's so easy to get caught up in the rush of things. Especially when you're a busy mommy! I was thinking of this exact thing this morning. I ended up on the kitchen floor in my robe, holding Cole's breakfast on a little plate while he stood next to me playing with the magnets on the fridge. His diaper needed to be changed and I was hoping to get him fed a bit faster than just handing him little bit size pieces of toast...but it was such a simple, peaceful thing. I am taking on this goal with you! No more frenzy, no more hectic, just enjoy. Relish. All that goodness. And Holiday Blog Banners? I need a Halloween one as soon as you can provide it!!

Can't wait to see you this weekend - LOVE YOU! Hope little Stella feels better!

sienna said...

I LOVE that talk too! In fact, I just read it again a couple days ago. I too am trying to be better at living in the moment and not worrying so much about getting things done. It's kind of tricky sometimes to find the right balance but it gives me something to constantly strive for!

meyerstwins.blogspot.com said...

I love this blog. And this is something we all need help on. You are a good example of just enjoying things. Hope Stella is doing better-those up all night nights are rough. When are you coming down this way?